Tuesday, September 30, 2008

New Captain To Be Named?

The Canucks have called a press conference for 11:30am to make what's only being refered to as a "special announcement".

Speculation around the media room at GM Place right now is that the club will be announcing a new Captain. I'll be surprised if the player who gets the 'C' is not a defenceman. The leading candidates to get the nod to replace Markus Naslund are Willie Mitchell, Mattias Ohlund, or Kevin Bieksa.

Should be interesting to see who the management and coaching staff go with.

What makes this announcement that much more interesting is the timing of yet. Yesterday at his post-practice media conference, I asked coach Alain Vigneault if the team was anywhere closer to naming a captain.

His response:

"There are some definite people stepping to the forefront for Mike (Gillis) and I have not talked about this yet so I can't really share my thoughts until I talk to him."

And now here we are, less than 24 hours later, likely being introduced to the next leader of the team.

No comments: